Downsizing your home – Are you ready?
Is your nest feeling a little too empty?
But you can’t imagine calling anywhere else home?
If you’re dealing with these conflicting feelings, you might want to start asking yourself, “when is the right time to downsize?” and “should I consider a condo?”
The honest answer is– it depends.
Some of our clients, who can’t imagine ever saying goodbye to their family home, end up acknowledging later when they do downsize that they wish they’d done it sooner. Others jump into the downsizing business too early and realize fast that their smaller space doesn’t fit their lifestyle at all. And then there’s my clients who choose to downsize to a smaller house instead of a condo, and within five years wish they’d opted for a turn-key condo.
It all comes down to knowing yourself. And that can be harder than you think! When you’re beginning to consider downsizing to a condo, make sure to self-reflect, and really dig down to uncover what makes sense for you and your lifestyle.
Here are a few good questions to answer if you’re starting to think about downsizing:
- Do I use the majority of my house on a weekly basis?
- Am I happy dedicating my weekends to gardening and other maintenance activities?
- Am I spending money to have others help maintain my property?
- Would I live my life differently if I had funds freed up from the sale of my house?
- Would amenities like a gym, pool, rooftop for entertaining, or guest suite enrich my life?
- Are stairs posing me or my partner any issues?
- Would having a turn-key home encourage me to travel more?
Depending on your answers to those questions, downsizing might be a real avenue to consider. On top of that, condos are a great solution for those who not only want to eliminate unused space but wish to live in a maintenance-free environment with amenities at their fingertips.
So what do you think? Are you ready to downsize to a condo?
We’re here to help you with this decision. Check out customized services for clients looking for help downsizing your home here.
Want to hear more from us? Sign up for our downsizer’s newsletter!
We’ll keep you up to date with what’s important when downsizing your home.