No one wants to come home to a flooded basement. The severe weather patterns that seems to be the norm are causing more basements to flood. It is worthwhile to understand how to avoid basement flooding. In fact many home owners are telling me that they have experienced their first flood in 40 years. The good news is there are a few things that you can do to help flood-proof your home.
HERE ARE THE TOP SIX:
- FIX CRACKS IN YOUR FOUNDATION
- ENSURE THE GROUND SLOPES AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE
- CLEAR DEBRIS FROM THE EAVES TROUGHS AND DOWNSPOUTS
- INSTALL A SUMP PUMP TO REMOVE EXCESS WATER
- INSTALL A BACKWATER VALVE TO PREVENT WATER AND SEWAGE FROM BACKING UP
- DEVERT YOUR DOWNSPOUTS AWAY FROM THE FOUNDATION.
Flood proofing your home is not typically at the top of most homeowners until you have had a flood. Be proactive and you will be thankful later and most likely be able to prevent basement flooding.